- Sutton Green is a settlement located between Guildford and Woking in the county of Surrey, find out more about the historic Sutton Place and more here.
- Do you have any old tales or pictures of Sutton Green in times pasr? If you would like to share your memories or pictures then please send to email@example.com
Read about the building of Sutton Place, the local manor house built by Sir Richard Weston from 1521, in Iain Wakefords guide.
Or take a longer look by reading “Annals of an old manor-house Sutton Place, Guildford” by Frederic Harrison, 1893.
Or the romantic “Sutton Place” novel trilogy based on events at the house by Deryn Lake.
The Church was built in 1921, with funds raised by subscription from the local community, to be a war memorial to the men of Sutton Green who gave their life in the Great War of 1914-18. It was consecrated in March 1922 by Bishop Randolph, the Suffragan Bishop of Guildford.
Inside, on the west wall of the church, there is a Roll of Honour giving the names of the twenty-eight men, with details of the regiments and rank, these names are repeated on an oak carving in the chancel, together with the names of the main benefactors, along with the names of service men killed in the Second World War 1939-45.
Various items of furniture in the church were given in memory of local residents, and it is believed that some of the carved woodwork was carried out by members of the Ricardo family who were renowned for their carpentry skills.
This new All Souls’ church superseded a corrugated iron Mission Church dating from the 1880’s which was nearby and became the Village Hall, this has now been replaced by a modern building.
In recent years All Souls’ has been extended by the addition of a Church Room, this room was consecrated by Bishop Ian, the Bishop of Dorking.
The Bold Robin Hood
The Bold Robin Hood Beer House (BH) serving Crookes ales. The Guildford brewery lasted from 1807 to 1929 when it was demolished to make way for Farnham Road bus station.
This was the second pub in the village in what was then called Crooked Dinkum Lane. The road was renamed when the pub closed between the wars to Robin Hood Lane. Photo (Circa 1910) courtesy of the Pike family who own the house now called Sackleford.
The Fox & Hounds
1855/George Jackman/Fox & Hounds/../../Post Office Directory
1913/William John Taylor/.. /../../Kelly’s Directory
1918/Henry Walter Ede/.. /../../Kelly’s Directory
1937/James Sydney Collins, Fox & Hounds, Sutton Green, Guildford/../../Kelly’s Directory
The Fox & Hounds Public House (PH) built around 1904 replacing an older building has now been renamed The Olive Tree, and is still serving beer to the village.
Picture courtesy of Iain Wakeford.
Coronation day in Sutton Green, 2nd June 1953, celebrations are held at the Fox & Hounds Pub, customers on their way to Portsmouth on a Fox outing to see the fleet.
Queen Elizabeth’s 70 year Platinum Jubilee on 4th June 2022 saw an updated photograph of pub customers in front of the Olive Tree.
Old Post Office
The Old Post & Telegraph Office in Sutton Green Road, no longer used for post, but still standing, now a residential house.
Picture courtesy of Iain Wakeford.
Members of the Sutton Green Women’s Institute (WI) pose for a picture outside of the old former Mission Room, village hall & library.
The Aldershot & District Traction Co Ltd ran bus number 29A from Guildford to Sutton Green in the 1950’s. The service ran to the Fox & Hounds, where it then terminated, the bus would then reverse opposite the then police house on the corner and pull up on the bus stop on the Guildford side of the road, ready to return.
Photographs courtesy of ADBIG